Thursday, February 2, 2012

[Pureed Cayenne Corn & Bacon Chowder]



This is my sis-in-law, Mar's, recipe.  The first time I had it, I thought she was the most incredible chef ever.  I still think that ... 


Pureed Cayenne Corn & Bacon Chowder
I have altered this recipe from the original one given to me by my sister-in-law. I had it at her house when my hubby and I were dating. SO great ... 

1/2 onion, finely chopped
5 strips of bacon, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 med carrot, shredded (or grated)
2 tbsp flour
3 cups corn (canned or frozen)
2.5 cups milk
1 cup whipping cream
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions:

- saute onion, bacon. add celery until clear.
- add carrots & flour. Cook 3 minutes.
- gradually add corn. stir in milk gradually.
- for a SMOOTH soup (which is what I do), puree in blender at this point - before adding whipping cream as it will get frothy instead of smooth.
- return to pot
- cook on low heat, add whipping cream.
- add cayenne pepper and salt/pepper to taste.

Note: Sometimes I add more milk, depending on the final consistency. Just remember that it dilutes the "corn" taste when too much milk is added. Also - the cayenne pepper isn't everyone's liking ... add as little or as much as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment